23 March 2022
New mechanical diver’s watches inspired by a
barnacle-covered 1977 Challenge Diver found on an
Australian beach New, updated model features enhanced magnetic resistance
CITIZEN PROMASTER captures the imagination of sports professionals around the world with highly functional sports watches. Two new mechanical diver’s watch models, inspired by the design of the 1977 Challenge Diver, will be released from the collection with upgraded specifications, including a movement with enhanced magnetic resistance.
CITIZEN PROMASTER Mechanical Diver 200m
CITIZEN’s archives contain a fascinating story about a lost Challenge Diver watch. In 1983, a Challenge Diver was found on Long Reef Beach in Australia. The watch was covered in barnacles after being submerged in the Pacific Ocean, but the movement inside had remained protected from the seawater and was still ticking. The number of barnacles attached to the watch hinted that it had been in the ocean for a number of years. These new models take design cues from the original Challenge Diver design, but their external features and the movement inside have been updated for contemporary use.
The sapphire glass has a flat cut top and a domed underside, and the sides of the glass are beveled to provide a chunky, retro look. The watches have a guardless crown design, and the 41.0 mm diameter (design specifications) is the same as the original model. The case is made of lightweight, scratch-resistant Super Titanium™*¹, and is thinner than the original model to ensure a more comfortable fit on the wrist.
The Cal. 9051 movement in this model uses anti-magnetic materials for the balance spring and surrounding components to boost the magnetic resistance of the watch. It maintains its performance even when placed 1 centimeter from a device emitting a magnetic field. The watches are also resistant to magnetic fields from everyday devices, including smartphones, and they can even be used aboard ships with magnetic compasses. In addition to being resistant to magnetic fields, the watches are also ISO compliant*² diver’s watches up to 200 meters. They can run for 42 hours when fully wound, with daily accuracy of -10 to +20 seconds.
■A modern twist on the Challenge Diver design
- - The same case diameter as the original model, but made with lightweight, scratch-resistant Super TitaniumTM. The case is thinner than the original, providing a more comfortable fit.
- - Embossed indices and the classic green lume provide a vintage feel
- - Beveled sapphire glass
- - Rotating bezel is inset into the case The NB6021-17E model has a retro-look polyurethane band with a raised square pattern.
■Mechanical diver’s watch with enhanced magnetic resistance
- - Powered by a Cal. 9051 mechanical movement with enhanced magnetic resistance.
- - ISO-compliant diver’s watch to 200m
- - Up to 42 hours of running time when fully wound
- - Average daily accuracy: -10 to +20 seconds
|Brand||CITIZEN PROMASTER / Mechanical Diver 200m|
|Case/Band||Super Titanium™(Duratect*³ TIC) / Urethane||Super Titanium™(Duratect TIC)|
|Case diameter / thickness||41.0mm / 12.3mm（design specification only ）|
|Specifications||Cal.9051 Mechanical/ Automatic & Manual winding / Accuracy of average -10～+20sec/day */ Running time of approx. 42 hours (when fully wound)/ Frequency : 28,800 vph / 24 jewels / 200m water resistance|
- *Accuracy measured in a stationary position. Due to the characteristics of mechanical watches, daily accuracy may be outside stated figures due to variations in conditions of use (including length of time worn, the position of the watch, wrist movement, and the winding of the spring.
- ※1 Super Titanium™ is CITIZEN’s proprietary surface hardening technology to treat solid titanium. It is at least 5 times harder than stainless steel, resistant to scratches, lightweight and gentle to the skin for comfortable wearing.
- ※2 ISO: International Organization for Standardization. “ISO 6425 diver’s watch” for all diver’s watches to ensure diver safety.
- ※3 Duratect is CITIZEN’s proprietary surface hardening technology that enhances the surface hardness of metals such as stainless steel and titanium, protecting watch bodies from scratches and damage. This technology offers excellent abrasion quality and maintains the luster of metals for long periods of time.
Since its debut in 1989, PROMASTER has become an icon among professional sports watches, known for superior durability and reliability in extreme outdoor environments on land, at sea, and in the air. The three classifications in the series are designed with high-performance specifications and durability: MARINE - for divers, LAND - for climbers, and SKY - for aviation. PROMASTER is exclusively designed for optimum functionality, durability, and safety, inspiring the imagination of generations of active sports aficionados who push beyond physical and mental boundaries.
<About CITIZEN WATCH>
CITIZEN WATCH is a true manufacture d'horlogerie with the capabilities to carry out the entire watch manufacturing process in-house, from creating a watch’s individual components to its final assembly. The company operates in more than 140 countries and regions around the world. Since its founding in 1918, CITIZEN has held the belief of “Better Starts Now” — that is, no matter who you are and what you do, it is always possible to make something better, and now is the time to start doing it. Based this belief, we have created watches, invented and improved technologies and explored the future of watches such as our proprietary light-powered Eco-Drive technology and state-of-the-art satellite-synchronized timekeeping.
- * Super Titanium™, Duratect are trademarks or registered trademarks of Citizen Watch Co., Ltd.
- *The final design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
- *The availability, specifications, and related information, such as the product code for the models featured in this site, may vary by markets. If you would like to know more details, including the availability of these products in your area, please select your local website from our global site.